[CT Birds] Westport American Wigeon

Tina and Peter Green petermgreen at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 27 09:36:55 EDT 2010

8/27/10 - Westport - Sherwood Island SP (Mill Pond) - The only out of the ordinary birds I saw this morning were the many Chimney Swifts at all my stops in Westport and Southport and the lone juvenile American Wigeon on the Mill Pond which I spotted from the viewing platform on the west side of SISP. It was originally mixed in with the DC Cormorants and it was the only duck on that side of the pond. I studied it carefully as it seems a bit early to see this species. The markings were clearly that of a juvenile. Very nice to see as I've always seen only adult birds when they arrive later in the season.

Tina Green
Westport