[CT Birds] 2000+ Warblers Bluff Point Groton - 19 or 20 species

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 27 10:51:58 EDT 2010

Very nice movement of birds through Bluff Point in Groton today. Birded with
Glenn Williams, Paul Desjardin, and John ?(sorry) among others.  My estimate
of 2,000+ warblers is admittedly rather conservative. If you work out the
rough number per minute for the hour between 06:15 and 07:15 it would be
closer to double that, but I'm going to be very conservative and call it
2,000+. Okay, so probably over 90% of the identified birds were American
Redstarts, but here's the breakdown of notables;

Ruby-throated Hummingbird (4)

"Traill's" Flycatcher (5)

Great Crested Flycatcher (3)

Eastern Kingbird (1)

White-eyed Vireo (4)

Warbling Vireo (4+)

Red-eyed Vireo (6)

Swainson's Thrush (1)

Veery (1)

Red-breasted Nuthatch (6)

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (10+)

Blue-winged Warbler (6)

Tennessee Warbler (1)

Nashville Warbler (1)

Northern Parula (8)

Chestnut-sided Warbler (4)

Magnolia Warbler (5)

Black-and-White Warbler (15+)

Black-throated Blue Warbler (2)

Black-throated Green Warbler (5)

Prairie Warbler (3 or 4)

Blackpoll Warbler (3)

Yellow Warbler (8 to 10)

Oporonis species (3 seen in flight going away. One likely CT and one likely
Mourning, but I'm not calling. Glenn saw the other and didn't call it

Canada Warbler (2)

Wilson's Warbler (2)

Hooded Warbler (1)

Ovenbird (2)