[CT Birds] Grassland Bird Conservation gets even crazier in CT

paul cianfaglione pcianfaglione at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 27 16:38:43 EDT 2010

Peter Marteka's article in todays Hartford Courant clearly explains one of the main reasons why Grasshopper Sparrows and Upland Sandpipers will soon disappear in Connecticut.
http://www.courant.com/community/pomfret/hc-marteka-grassland-conservation-ce20100827,0,7091726.column
If the State of Connecticut or Federal Government screws up on a project intended for grassland preservation we kinda expect that, but when one of our own trusted institutions does something like this, you gotta start thinking about throwing in the towel. With two popular grassland species on the brink of extinction in our state, The Connecticut Audubon Society has decided to build a 2 million dollar, 5,000 square foot mega-church with I-max theater in the middle of nowhere and call it grassland bird conservation center. I don't think it is necessary to build a destination resort to create an awareness of the need to preserve grassland birds. All this money to create an awareness, someone needs to be fired in the name of stupidity. What we need right now is a solid plan to preserve critical nesting habitat for Grasshopper Sparrows and Upland Sandpipers. Like I said earlier in the summer, par for the course in Connecticut Grassland Bird Conservation! Keep a gold-plated donation box in front of this church for future upkeep.

Paul Cianfaglione
Canton