[CT Birds] 8/27 - Rocky Hill Baird's Sandpiper, a note on thrush id

Alexander Burdo alexanderburdo at mac.com
Fri Aug 27 19:27:40 EDT 2010

 From Alex Burdo and James Orrico:
aprox. 2:30-4:45

We spent a couple hours today concentrating on trying to find the
previously reported Baird's Sandpiper. When we arrived, we ran into
Neil Curry and Tom Hook who were also searching for the Baird’s. After
more than an hour of searching, we turned back and decided to head out
when two other birders said they had the bird. It was in a field
adjacent to the large puddle, past the 3-4 trees. We raced out of the
car and immediately put the scope on it. Baird’s Sandpiper! We had
decent scope views as the bird continued to move closer. Finally it
flew a short distance back to water and we got better looks at it
preening. After a few minutes the flock took off and disappeared into
the sod.

Here are some digiscoped shots: http://floridascrubjay.wordpress.com/2010/08/27/rocky-hill-meadows-bairds-sandpiper/

Thanks to everyone who answered my questions!!

On another note, I jumped to conclusions this morning about the
thrush. The lighting conditions in which I viewed the bird were
horrible and I wasn't able to get a good gauge on the color. But in
taking the photos, I see that my camera has brought out more than I
was able to see with my eye. In both photos the eye ring on the bird
looks a lot like that on a Hermit Thursh. However, after working on
increasing the exposure, I'm pretty confident to call this bird a
Swainson's Thrush.

Good Birding,

Alex Burdo