[CT Birds] WT Kite/Stratford Point

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 22:08:29 EDT 2010

First of all, check the blog for important new kite information that I have
learned this week/we saw tonight: http://ctaudubon.blogspot.com/

Secondly, since I am asked about this a lot still, Stratford Point is only
open when someone is there to open the gate. Sometimes there may be someone
there and the gate is still closed. There may be other work going on at the
site that has no relation to birding or the kite. Additionally, there is no
set schedule. Obviously the most likely time it will be open is during
normal weekday business hours. The only reason the gate has been open as
often as it has been is because I went in to open it because of the kite,
and it would never be open otherwise on the weekend. I was not there in the
morning all week, and Twan opened it to visitors. Yet again I say that the
best views you will get are in the evening. Tonight there were only 3 of us
there. We had about 3 1/2 hours of up-close kite time. It was unbelievable,
and I was the closest I have ever been to it. When you come in the morning
and the gate is closed you will get very good views. You will think if the
gate was open you could walk up to a tree or a telephone pole for better
ones. This is not the case. It is a sensitive raptor, and it will simply
move away from you, especially in the morning. Often times when we do open
the gate in the morning it will say "OK, see you later" and go to an
inaccessible area of Short Beach or Milford Point.

When it is hunting it is the most tolerant. Again, this is where you see
visitors say they had amazing views and the time that produces outstanding
photos. This doesn't happen very much in the morning. If you cannot come in
the evening, then try to come in a morning when you know it will be open if
you like. One of us may post it or you can email me. But you can simply walk
around Prospect Drive and the perimeter fence and get very good views. Trust
me, I have been with it more than anyone, many days morning and
evening...there is no comparison, and you will not do too much better being
on the site in the morning (assuming it doesn't totally leave). There is a
reason I have been there 27 nights in a row. If you come in the middle of
the day you may find the gate closed and no kite, especially on weekends.

There is a reason it is still here - we allow it time and space to hunt,
especially in the morning. I will open the gate around 7-8 tomorrow. This
will likely be the last weekend I will open the gate early and in the
evening. Tomorrow will be day 28, and amazingly the month is nearly over. If
you have not come or want another look time is not on your side. It is
preparing to leave. Come see it now!

Scott Kruitbosch
Stratford, CT
Connecticut Audubon Society