[CT Birds] Tennis Nighthawks

Dana Campbell dana.l.campbell at gmail.com
Sat Aug 28 10:26:35 EDT 2010

Dori Sosensky and I sat at the Pilot Pen Friday night not knowing whether to
look down upon the world class women's match or up at the world class
Nighthawk spectacle.  Nighthawks graced the sky from 7 p.m. and were still
there when we left at 10:30 p.m.  There were particularly interesting
looking insects swarming around the stadium lights, and dinner was served,
you'll pardon the expression.  Highest count at one time was 5.  Oh, and
Wozniacki beat Dementieva.

Dana Campbell, Priest in Charge
Church of the Good Shepherd, Hartford
dana.l.campbell at gmail.com

"Body angled, yellow legs dangling, wings flicking down and forward, the
bird held his place in the sky, but all his concentration was on the grass
below.  Sometimes he paused in flight, wings raised in a sharply accented V,
playing wind against gravity, holding both forces to a draw.  It was a
beautiful and stunning display of precision flying."
--Pete Dunne on the White-tailed Kite in *The Wind Masters*.