[CT Birds] Greenwich Point - Chat etc

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Sat Aug 28 11:37:13 EDT 2010

 Hi All,

A nice flight of warblers etc this AM at Greenwich Point Park (town sticker required) with Joe Bear and Catherine Hamilton produced an exciting number of warblers, empids etc. Highlights included 1 Yellow-breasted Chat, about 8 Red-breasted Nuthatches (looking like a flight year), and two flyover Whimbrel.

The last few days have seen nice Common Nighthawk movement at Quaker Ridge including about 100 on Wednesday and 45 or so Friday. I relocated the Friday Nighthawks feeding in a field just on the border with NY State where we also had a nice movement of warblers including Blackburnian and Canada's Friday morning. Seems to be some dispute as to what state the preserve is in - it's owned by Greenwich Riding Club but maybe in NY State. The hawkwatch along with many others in the Northeast has seen amazing early Bald Eagle movement with 7 Thursday and 5 Friday.

>From Luke Tiller, Joe Bear and Catherine Hamilton

08/27/10 - Old Greenwich, Greenwich Point Park - 1 Yellow-breasted Chat, 2 Whimbrel, 8 Red-breasted Nuthatch