[CT Birds] 8/28 - Birdcraft, Rocky Hill Meadows, Milford Pt., Stratford

Alexander Burdo alexanderburdo at mac.com
Sat Aug 28 16:24:06 EDT 2010

 From Alex Burdo:

6:45-9:00 - Birdcraft Sanctuary, Fairfield:

There was an ok flight of warblers at Birdcraft. This morning I was
able to notch only 7 species, around 3 less than what I'd hoped for.
Numbers below:

2 Magnolia Warbler
1 Black-throated Blue Warbler
1 Black-and-White Warbler
4 American Redstart
1 Northern Waterthrush
1 Canada Warbler
1 Wilson's Warbler

3 Black-crowned Night-Heron
1 Ruby-throated Hummingbird
1 Red-eyed Vireo

 From Alex Burdo and Tina Green:

Rocky Hill Meadows:

1 BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER - The bird was not by the puddle, as I heard
from Carl Ekroth and Denise that the birds were flushed by a
helicopter. 1 of the Buff-breasteds was present in the field on the
right hand side, on the piece of road before the left hand turn to get
to the puddle.

Milford Point:

2 Western Willets
1 Forster's Tern
1 Whimbrel
1 Snowy Egret - This bird was doing a behavior I've never seen before.
It placed its bill in the water, bent down and started blowing bubbles!

Stratford Marina:

1 basic plumaged Long-billed Dowitcher

Long Beach:

3 Boat-tailed Grackles including 2 without tails

I'll post photos soon: http://floridascrubjay.wordpress.com/

A Great Day!

Alex Burdo
Fairfield, CT