[CT Birds] Rocky Hill Meadows - Buff-breasted, Upland Sandpipers

MResch8702 at aol.com MResch8702 at aol.com
Sat Aug 28 18:33:42 EDT 2010

As others have reported it was a good morning at Rocky Hill Meadows though
the Baird's was not to be found.  Most of the activity was in the area of
recently harvested sod on the right hand side of the east-bound road just
before  the road turns left (north) to head toward the remnants of the little
puddle.  I first found the 2 Buff-breasted Sandpipers at about 8:30 in a
large flock of Killdeer.  I found an Upland Sandpiper in the nearby  plowed
dirt field at about 9:45.  Total estimates of shorebirds present  -
Many Killdeer
11-14 Least Sandpipers (11 together at one point, 3 others seen together
later)
3 Semipalmated Plovers
2 Buff-breasted Sandpipers
1 Upland Sandpiper

Other sightings included -
4 Turkeys
Many calling Bobolinks
2 singing Warbling Vireos
1 Kestrel

>From Mike Resch
8/28 - Rocky Hill, Rocky Hill Meadows - 2 Buff-breasted Sandpipers, 1
Upland Sandpiper - most activity in the area of recently harvested sod on the
right hand side of the east-bound road just before the road turns left
(north)  to head toward the remnants of the little puddle

Mike Resch
Pepperell, MA