[CT Birds] Inland Shorebirds, very early Ring-necked Duck

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Sun Aug 29 00:02:11 EDT 2010

I went to this spot around 11 AM this morning on my way to a ballgame in Norwich and found pretty much the same birds Paul did.  An unexpected and pleasant treat for me is that there was a Sanderling mixed in.  An abundant bird at times coastally in CT, and definitely one of the less common ones inland.  It was in fact a county bird for me and only my second one away from the shore.

Another surprise was a very early Ring-necked Duck swimming with Mallards and a few ducks of questionable parentage in the Shetucket River where CT 169 crosses on the Norwich/Lisbon town line this afternoon.  Not a bird I expected to check off my Norwich list on August 28th!

A couple of the great muddy spots I talked about recently -- Broad Brook Pond in East Windsor and that pond in Bozrah whose name escapes me at the moment, were fully submerged today.  Not enough rain for months then too much in a short time.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT