[CT Birds] Radar this morning

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 29 07:52:00 EDT 2010

Roy,

I'm sending this reply to everyone because I have been asked about morning
flight and Bluff Point a lot in the last few days and I'm going to put a
basic primer about that on CTBirds later today (getting ready to go kayaking
at the moment). This reply may be of some interest to everyone as well.

Well the weather forecast on winds that I used yesterday proved incorrect
and winds were good for a flight last night. My take on the radar images you
ask about is it's morning flight. As you know, morning flight is a brief
diurnal continuation of movement in the direction of the intended migration
by nocturnal migrants. This daylight movement apparently doesn't happen as a
seamless continuation of migration. There is a period when the nocturnal
flyers put down and briefly rest. The first radar image from 05:47 matches
with the pre-morning flight movement timing we see at Bluff Point, but only
just. The morning flight there would be starting in mere minutes after that.
The second image would be the height of the movement timing. So my guess is
the radar images are indeed partly birds, if not mostly birds. I need to do
some research (one more thing with no free time now!) on the echo reflection
versus migrant numbers to better understand the image intensities, those
intensities seem a bit strong for the likely amount of movement last night.
More later...

Dave Provencher

Naturally New England