[CT Birds] Radar this morning

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 08:19:36 EDT 2010

Since we obviously cannot see attachments on the list I have no idea, but I
would check which mode the radar was in, as the different modes can make it
look heavier or lighter (clear weather or stormy etc.) And you may very well
be seeing some birds readjusting or early movers taking off. I should have
posted this yesterday but since we are still on the eastern side of this
massive ridge we are going to continue to have downslope N/NW winds. That is
why decent nocturnal migration occurred again. They will probably tonight,
and tomorrow night. It won't be as good as the first two nights (Fri/Sat),
but it'll be decent. The high will move by us eventually and shift
everything to the S flow. For now, during the day, it will be a battle
(especially right here in CT) of sea breeze and mixing warm temperatures
aloft with that N/NW boundary layer flow. So this means we may start off
some diurnal migration pretty well, but the raptors and others may stop
moving in the middle of the day, or not find it conducive enough. Hopefully
it will be enough of a wind battle to keep the White-tailed Kite, too. Gate
will be open shortly and again this evening as usual.

Scott

--
Scott Kruitbosch
Stratford, CT