[CT Birds] Hurricane Earl

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 12:16:33 EDT 2010

If you are not aware Hurricane Earl is projected to go up the east coast as
a major hurricane, category 3 or higher. The 5 day projection cone, which
you can see on NOAA's website here
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at2+shtml/144553.shtml?5day?large#contents,
has it in a dangerous position off the Mid-Atlantic later this week. As of
the last update, at Friday, 8AM, it is projected to have sustained winds of
115MPH while sitting 291 miles to the SSW of New York City. The cone shows
other possible locations, growing in size as the forecast goes farther out
with less accuracy. A cold front will likely be passing through this area
late Thursday or early Friday, and this low may likely stop the hurricane
from making landfall or coming close to a location on the east coast. There
are MANY reasons or other causes for it to miss us, so do not be too
worried. The primary concern is obviously life and property, and we
certainly hope it stays far away. If it ever came close to landfall no one
would be caring about any birds, myself included. None of us want that!
However, in the hopefully fortunate event that it stays hundreds of miles
away from any part of the U.S., it would be a great time to see some rare
birds brought in with it. Keep an eye on it for now, but do not be upset or
worried yet at all.

I will be opening the gate at Stratford Point around 4PM again today. The
last I saw of the kite was at Stratford Point around 9:15 while I searched
the property for migrants. I did not see it when I came back to the main
area, and could not spot it at Milford Point or Short Beach from there.

--
Scott Kruitbosch
Stratford, CT