[CT Birds] Gull-Goldfinch Questions

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 30 11:49:20 EDT 2010

Have two questions to ask..........

# 1 - Recently, I saw 3 Ring-billed Gulls fly by near a Mall in Torrington.
All 3 were in direct flight, but they were occasionally cutting about as they
flew
as if catching insects from the air as swallows often do.
  I have never seen Gulls do this before.
 Has anyone ever seen this behavior in gulls before?

#2 - this morning, I again saw 7 Goldfinch on the side of the road
picking and eating the big leaves of Coltsfoot. I saw them doing this
 2 days before in same spot. Last year, they ate my Swiss-chard
in the same manner, perching on the leaf then eating
only the areas between the veins. A bit unusual to see a passerine bird species
eating leaves.
Has anyone ever seen this behavior in Goldfinch before?

Paul Carrier - Harwinton