[CT Birds] Stratford W-T Kite, Black Skimmers

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 30 23:20:56 EDT 2010

>From Frank Mantlik
9/30 Stratford, Short Beach, 6 - 6:30pm - WHITE-TAILED KITE perched atop cedar
tree across river at Milford Point (as crowd waited for it at Stratford Point),
4 juvenile BLACK SKIMMERS on sandbar then flying around river, 1 Willet (western
race).

Having lived along the CT coast most of my life, it is a fairly common sight
(annual) this time of year (August/September) to see gulls hawking insects in
flight.  Species that commonly do it are Laughing and Ring-billed Gulls.
 Several times over the years I have tried to use the binoculars to identify the
insects in flight.  The times I have been able to do so, they have been swarms
of winged ants.