[CT Birds] Amazing gull & bug pics/kite tonight

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 00:13:13 EDT 2010

As promised, fantastic photos of gulls catching bugs!

Frank mentioned the White-tailed Kite was on the tall thin cedar at Milford
Point. This was the first time it has done that...to my knowledge...in at
least a week. It had spent more time at Stratford Point and Short Beach, but
now seems to be trending back to the old routine. I picked it up flying over
as it came to see us not long after. It hunted and took probably 10-12
minutes before making a kill. I did not track the exact time. It took
several nice passes directly in front of everyone. Since this still confuses
visitors on occasion, if you stop by we stay in front of the main building
(closest to the water) in the evening. You do not have to walk around
looking for it - just come right there and wait with us, you'll be on it as
fast as possible. This is the best area for viewing, photography, and not
disturbing the kite. I don't know how we got so lucky but we did. It is
perfect and tonight went nearly perfectly. When it captured a vole it took a
slow pass right in front of us all before eating it on the beach and
departing. I have a feeling I will be able to post some stunning photos from
that tomorrow. The gate may or may not be open in the day, but it will be in
the evening again.

Scott Kruitbosch
Stratford, CT
Connecticut Audubon Society