[CT Birds] Earl/Stratford Point

jaybrd49 at aol.com jaybrd49 at aol.com
Wed Sep 1 20:20:43 EDT 2010

Depending upon the track of the storm, inland birders should also check the larger lakes and reservoirs and also the Connecticut River.  Past hurrricanes have yielded such oddities as Audubon's Shearwater (Congamond Lake on the Mass line) and storm petrels (no confirmed ID) on Batterson Pond in West Hartford/New Britain and also on the Connecticut River.  There have also been odd reports of terns including Sooty Tern on Avon Mountain, although these reports were not confirmed to my knowledge. My all-time favorite was a possible Yellow-nosed Albatross well up the Hudson River in New York State. As Nick said, these birds do not linger inland and depart for the coast as soon as the winds shift or die down. Something for inland birders (who may be concerned about a trip to the coast depending upon weather conditions, etc.) to think about.

Of course, no one should be counting their pelagics before the final storm track becomes clear. Hurricanes have a funny habit of changing their minds about where they'd like to go.

Jay Kaplan