[CT Birds] More Common Nighthawks, etc.

B Inskeep binskeep at optonline.net
Thu Sep 2 14:12:28 EDT 2010

9/1/10, 6-7:30 pm Greenwich Audubon, Greenwich, CT with Tom Fiore - we observed 25 Common Nighthawks, all but 2 flying northeast; a dozen Bobolinks lifted up and flew southwest, later followed by another group from over the trees with a few that lingered and perched, and still others heard from low in the tall grass; one Ruby-throated Hummingbird, possibly two although the second sighting could have been the same bird; there were also 10 Cedar Waxwings in the snags of a bare tree and an Eastern Wood-Pewee seen and heard calling.

Mid-day during a brief stop at Cove Island in Stamford, we saw an additional Bobolink and another Ruby-throated Hummingbird.

Butterflies observed included: Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, Cabbage White, Orange Sulphur, Eastern-tailed Blue, Common Buckeye, Monarch, Fiery Skipper, Sachem.

Brenda Inskeep
Stamford