[CT Birds] All quiet on the western front...

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Sat Sep 4 20:13:41 EDT 2010

 Hi All,

So much for Hurricane Earl then! If it's any consolation I was at Jamaica Bay (absolutely cracking day - great mix of shorebirds - but I digress) today and ran into a couple of NY birders who had been pretty much skunked as far as finding anything exciting on Long Island so it wasn't like they got our birds. I was talking to Joe Zeranski about previous hurricane assisted rares for the state, just out of interest I am wondering what our previous experience is in the state? I assume the Black-capped Petrel ended up here that way, is there anything else particularly notable? Amusingly the last storm that we were being predicted that didn't quite materialise a couple of years back (Hanna?) at least allowed me to add Semipalmated Plover to my Allen's Meadows list - it's the small things in life...

Early evening on return I had a small flock of passerine migrants including a Blackburnian Warbler at Greenwich Audubon.

Luke Tiller, Greenwich