[CT Birds] Quaker Ridge - bits 'n pieces

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Mon Sep 6 19:44:47 EDT 2010

 Hi All,

A few have asked me to keep them up to date on the days events at Quaker here. The day was again pretty slow (perhaps hawks take off most of Labor Day Weekend?) but not without reward as we picked up 4 Bald Eagles on the day. In the morning I was collecting data for Benjamin Van Doren for his morning flight project - nothing quite as exciting as the Long-tailed Jaeger that Chris Woods spotted from his vantage point up near Cornell the other week, but a couple of Purple Finches, RB Nut, Bobolinks and a couple of Solitary Sandpipers were a nice way to start the day. I am looking forward to seeing the results that Ben's nocturnal flight recording microphone will produce - should be fascinating stuff. 10 species of warbler around the grounds but small numbers and Nashville the only real highlight.

Luke Tiller, Greenwich