[CT Birds] Past Few Days

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Tue Sep 7 21:40:10 EDT 2010

Saturday Evening (4 Sept.)  Frank Mantlik reported a large number of
Laughing Gulls and Terns at Short Beach, Stratford at nightfall. So,
I went there first thing Sunday morning (5 Sept). I arrived at Short
Beach at 6:30 and the beach rake was already in action. There were
less than 50 gulls on the beach and hardly any around the bars.
However, 7 Green-winged Teal were seen flying in from the sound.
There were about 300 Double-crested Cormorants at the end of Milford
Pt. feeding heavily.

At Milford Pt. at high tide there was 1 Whimbrel and an American
Bittern flew out of the marsh grass in the lagoon, then back in.
Otherwise there were the “usual suspects”

I returned to Short Beach at 5:00 to 7:00 in the evening. All the
Cormorants were out on the Jetty. Most of the terns were feeding in a
rip where the tide just covered one of the bars. There were about 500
Laughing Gulls about and 90% of them were immatures. As the tide
increased and evening fell the gulls were mostly on the bar.
Apparently they take off at first light.

On Monday 6 September I went to Sandy Pt. West Haven at High tide to
check out the shorebirds and had the “ususal suspects” Highlights
include 2 Common Loon (Ad. and Im.) 3 Brant, and 1 American Golden-

Today (7 Sept)  at Stratford Marina I had the “usual suspects”. then
at Milford Pt. at high tide I had 9 Red Knots and the “usual suspects”

This evening at Short Beach at low tide in the evening and saw again
a large number of Laughing gulls  most of which were young birds.
There were also 8 Black Skimmers and the “usual suspects”

Dennis Varza