[CT Birds] pending huge flight?

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 18:55:12 EDT 2010

Nick is right on. I mentioned the big cold front went through today in the
CAS blog a couple times. That was the early storms. The actual front went
through a while ago - feel the gusty northwest winds outside now? It should
spawn a huge movement of passerines tonight, and the best hawk flight of the
season (thus far of course) tomorrow. You need to get out to your favorite
local spots and find some goodies. We haven't had a cold front of any
significance yet this "fall", and it should be great.

And now that I skimmed over the link Nick posted, and it is very informative
and fascinating. Definitely read it over. I certainly do not have that
degree of historical knowledge, background info, or expertise, but the case
is made that we have had historic blocking weather of varying sorts to
prevent any real migration in a critical time for many species. Some need to
be moving yesterday, essentially. You do not need to be a weather junkie to
know how it has been (still) unseasonably warm or even hot. The southerly
flow has been nearly constant, at best a competing flow at different levels.
This ends tonight. You need to go outside tomorrow and Friday and Saturday.
Period.

Scott

--
Scott Kruitbosch