[CT Birds] WT Kite continues

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 8 22:13:51 EDT 2010

I have a thought about the White-tailed Kite, specifically about when it might
depart.  It truly is amazing that it has remained in the coastal
Stratford/Milford area for each of the last 39 days.  Scott K. has been
anticipating it's departure for parts south for some time now.  Perhaps this
cold front with NW winds will nudge it to migrate.

But, maybe it will stay here into the winter.  I suggest this possibility
because in its normal range of California, so. Texas, so. Florida, and Mexico,
it is largely a non-migratory species.  So perhaps it will linger for weeks or
months to come, until hunting in snow cover causes it to finally depart.  Just
food for thought.

Frank Mantlik
Stratford