[CT Birds] Bluff Point

Chris Elphick elphick at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 9 11:24:20 EDT 2010

There were about a dozen people at Bluff this morning, but (not surprisingly given the overnight winds) it was rather slow, with just a couple of hundred warblers.  Most  were blasting through E to W, with many very high (I heard quite a lot that were too far up to even pick out).  I was there 6:30-9, so my numbers don't include the earliest stuff.  Highlights:

American kestrel (2), lesser yellowlegs (1), ruby-throated hummingbird (7), eastern wood-peewee (1), red-eyed vireo (12), veery (3+), American redstart (45+), black-and-white (9), black-throated blue (3), magnolia (2), chestnut-sided (1), black-throated green (1), yellow (1), parula (1), ovenbird (1), common yellowthroat (1), unidentified warbler (145+), scarlet tanager (3), rose-breasted grosbeak (3), bobolink (445).

Also seen by others: cooper's hawk, sharp-shinned hawk, palm warbler, Nashville warbler.

Chris Elphick

Storrs, CT

elphick at sbcglobal.net