[CT Birds] colebrook reservoir today

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 9 12:46:57 EDT 2010

Today at Colebrook reservoir

Was a very slow and windy day with no indications of any movements happening or
any new drop-ins from overnight. We had some stuff though.

The Regulars;

Bald Eagles
Osprey
1 Merlin
Raven
10-Least Sandpiper
6 - Semipalmated Sandpiper
2 Spotted sandpiper
1 WHITE- RUMPED SANDPIPER
Yellow-throated Vireo
Blue-headed Vireo
Parula Warbler - and others

Our highlight though was watching a female Merlin
stooping on the Swallows flying low over the water. But then, she went
high,(after the swallows vanished) saw something below over the water and
stooped straight down so fast at it. The prey was a Hummingbird which she just
missed and it climbed fast and high to avoid contact and then dove into the
woods. From so high did she think it was a dragonfly or knew it was a hummer?
I wouldn't think a Merlin had hummers on their to get list.

Paul Carrier - Wayne Maegher