[CT Birds] Whats happening at the sanctuary

jayne.amico at cox.net jayne.amico at cox.net
Thu Sep 9 18:17:34 EDT 2010

CT Birders -

It sure feels like fall today! The past few days brought ROSE -BREASTED GROSBEAKS, BLACK -THROATED GREEN WARBLER, AMERICAN REDSTARTS, and COMMON YELLOWTHROATS. I have also had PURPLE FINCHES and RED -BREASTED NUTHATCHES come through on several days.

The RUBY -THROATED HUMMINGBIRDS are still here in good numbers. I have been watching three duking it out over feeder and flower rights all day.  EASTERN PHOEBE,  EASTERN BLUEBIRDS( 6-10), AMERICAN GOLDFINCHES with fledglings, CEDAR WAXWINGS with fledglings, and CHIPPING SPARROWS with fledglings, all still feeding young. Earlier in the week I heard a repetitive call that was familiar but I could not come up with it. I finally located the bird and it was a juvenile scarlet tanager begging for food. I watched the adult female feed it. I have only ever raised one, but knew that call was familiar, it had been awhile!

I will be leaving tomorrow for a 7 day vacation at the Milford shore and am hoping to be able to bird some of the hot spots with some of you guys. I am sooo out of my element when you take me away from the woods! If anyone would like some company next week birding the coast please let me know.

--
Jayne

Jayne Amico
Southington, CT