[CT Birds] Whats happening at the sanctuary

jayne.amico at cox.net jayne.amico at cox.net
Thu Sep 9 18:17:34 EDT 2010

CT Birders -

It sure feels like fall today! The past few days brought ROSE -BREASTED GROSBEAKS, BLACK -THROATED GREEN WARBLER, AMERICAN REDSTARTS, and COMMON YELLOWTHROATS. I have also had PURPLE FINCHES and RED -BREASTED NUTHATCHES come through on several days.

The RUBY -THROATED HUMMINGBIRDS are still here in good numbers. I have been watching three duking it out over feeder and flower rights all day.  EASTERN PHOEBE,  EASTERN BLUEBIRDS( 6-10), AMERICAN GOLDFINCHES with fledglings, CEDAR WAXWINGS with fledglings, and CHIPPING SPARROWS with fledglings, all still feeding young. Earlier in the week I heard a repetitive call that was familiar but I could not come up with it. I finally located the bird and it was a juvenile scarlet tanager begging for food. I watched the adult female feed it. I have only ever raised one, but knew that call was familiar, it had been awhile!

I will be leaving tomorrow for a 7 day vacation at the Milford shore and am hoping to be able to bird some of the hot spots with some of you guys. I am sooo out of my element when you take me away from the woods! If anyone would like some company next week birding the coast please let me know.

Jayne Amico
Southington, CT