[CT Birds] Hummingbirds!

jayne.amico at cox.net jayne.amico at cox.net
Fri Sep 10 14:20:58 EDT 2010

CT Birders -

  This A.M I looked out my office window after hearing an awful lot of hummingbird chatter.  I counted in just one garden six hummingbirds!  I could hear sounds of them elsewhere on the sanctuary as well. I have to say this is a first for me seeing and hearing this many birds on Sept. 10th.  They were in the front gardens, out by the rehab compound, all over my patio hummingbird garden.

It was AWESOME!!!!!! I ran outside to assure myself I did not have any other species but ruby throat and I am fairly confident that  I am correct with this assessment ,even though it was from a distance and not in the hand with measurements.

By mid morning the influx of hummingbirds had moved on, although there are still several ---at least 3 or more hummingbirds still scrapping in the gardens.

  It was so cool having this mini hummingbird wave come through and I felt great satisfaction that all my efforts to support hummingbirds have not been for naught!

I have to admit I hate to leave for the shore now, I am afraid I am going to be missing something else!

Jayne Amico
Southington, CT