[CT Birds] Bluff Point and Morning Flight

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Fri Sep 10 21:18:08 EDT 2010

 Hi All,

I have been doing a morning flight watch here at Quaker Ridge as part of Benjamin Van Dorens research project (we're going overboard here this fall - nocturnal flight call recordings, morning flight recording etc). This morning Ben posted that we had 500+ warblers, a few identified in the field a few after from photos (that sure makes life easier). We still had large numbers of birds going over post count (6:30am-7:30am) a didn't include ones that we considered as stopping up to forage, even if briefly. Talking to a few other experienced birders it seems that nocturnal migrants often push north off of the coast in the morning (overdevelopement posited as one reason) and seven miles inland we are seeing them here at Quaker mainly all still heading north or northewest from us. I imagine a lot of people can experience this phenomenon (maybe in a more limited way) much closer to home than Bluff Point  if they are willing to be out in the field early (although it probably helps to have birders of the caliber of Chris, Dave etc to help ID stuff!) just pick an area with a nice expanse of clear skies.

Luke Tiller, Greenwich
www.underclearskies.com