[CT Birds] Wallingford Stilt Sandpiper, more

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Sat Sep 11 13:40:52 EDT 2010

>From Jamie Meyers:
9/11 -- Wallingford, MacKenzie Reservoir - STILT SANDPIPER feeding dowitcher-like in very shallow water along the northern edge of the reservoir.  It was not visible from the small parking area on the east side of the res., but could be seen from busy S. Center Street.
9/11-- Naugatuck, Naugatuck SF -- LINCOLN'S SPARROW

The Stilt was one of five species of shorebirds I noted at MacKenzie; other notables included a Semipalmated Plover.  There was a Great Egret and some four teals.  I tried to turn two slightly larger ones into Blue-wings but couldn't sell myself on that.  A small flock of peeps (Leasts) flew in near where the Stilt was, which is why I walked up the road to get a better view of that part of the res in the first place.

Naugatuck SF was very dead except for the sparrow and a Palm and Nashville Warbler.  I also checked Colebrook Reservoir on the way home.  Lots of nice mud but not many birds.  Just one Semipalmated Plover and a Spotted Sandpiper.  That was it.

Nice day to be outside.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT

"It ain't no crime to enjoy being alive." -- saw that on a bumper sticker today and it tickled me some.