[CT Birds] Inland Shorebirds

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Sat Sep 11 20:46:32 EDT 2010

Folkks, I checked the same spots Paul mentioned this afternoon.  I generally had less stuff but a similar mix at the Riverside Sewage Pond.  I also had both teals there.  Not many shorebirds from the Windsor Boat Launch but I did see the Sanderlings a bit down river.  They were hard to spot running along the sand dipping in and out of view behind stuff but patience was rewarded.  There is just a LOT of available habitat along the river so I wouldn't be surprised if stuff cruises up and down.

Along those lines, looking north from the boat ramp, there is a lot of shallow water near the Dexter-Coffin Bridge that held a lot of gulls.  I found an access point to that place and was rewarded with a flock of 4 Blue-winged Teals which splashed down in Windsor Locks water, a really nice bird for that generally waterless town.  Perhaps even better, I had a Snowy Egret in a small pond in East Granby on my way home.  Abundant on the shore, but only my second Hartford County record and my first since 1995.

You shoreline people, feel free to keep sending that kind of stuff up here!

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT