[CT Birds] FW: Stonington Breakwater, Sandy Point - Greater Shearwaters

Larson Eric eric_r_larson at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 11 22:09:29 EDT 2010

Nick,

Thanks for you comments.  The birds were marked by a clear dark gray crown, white collared neck, dark grayish back and uniform dark uppersides of the wings, dark tail with dark undertail coverlets and marked white horseshoe-shaped band on the upperside, white undersides with dark angular marks on the inner underwings and dark.  They were circling five to ten feet off the water and passing into the hovering terns, and would take shallow dives at the rising baitfish.  We have seen numerous juvenile Laughing Gulls in the area, especially off of Napatree, but these birds differed particularly in the dark crown and uniform dark uppers.

Late last summer we saw a group of Manx Shearwater while fishing just south of the same location (on the east side of Wicopesset Rocks), and I wonder if this area, at the interface of Long Island Sound and the open Atlantic, is appealing to migrating pelagics when the bait fish are running on the surface this time of year.  Weather permitting, we'll be out again fishing tomorrow morning and will try to get photos.

Eric