[CT Birds] Quaker Ridge 9/11 Hawks (974 incl. 690 BWs) and Warblers (18 species)

Benjamin Van Doren nimajneb3 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 22:27:13 EDT 2010

Hi all,

This morning, Luke Tiller, Eamon Corbett and I counted morning flight from
the Quaker Ridge Hawk Watch from 6:30-7:45 am. I arrived at 6:25 and,
interestingly enough, the flight did not begin until :35 -- there were 0
warblers flying before 6:35, and it only really got started after 6:40.
Sunrise was 6:31. We counted a cumulative total of 18 warbler species in
morning flight and while walking the grounds. Other non-warbler species
flying over included several Purple Finches, Red-eyed Vireos, Rose-breasted
Grosbeaks and Baltimore Orioles. I've posted some pictures of warblers in
morning flight on my blog at http://wp.me/pxRb4-rk.

At the Quaker Ridge Hawk Watch today, those present counted 974 raptors
while fighting totally blue skies through 3 pm, including 690 Broad-winged,
135 Sharp-shinned, 9 Cooper's, 64 Osprey, 12 Bald Eagles, 14 Northern
Harriers, 37 American Kestrels, and 4 Merlins. The next major cold front
should bring the majority of the Broad-wings through our area, which could
mean counts in the several thousands at Quaker Ridge and other hawk
watches--keep an eye on the weather late next week (the peak day is usually
between Sept 15-20)!

Benjamin Van Doren
White Plains, NY