[CT Birds] Southport Survey # 237 11 Sept 10

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Sun Sep 12 09:47:28 EDT 2010

Southport Survey # 237

The tide was falling and the ridge on the north side of the island
was being exposed. It was interesting watching the gulls, and
Oystercatchers move to it as the water receded. The water was calm,
and the sky was clear with no wind. Off shore was the occasional tern
and cormorant. This is the latest I have had Common Terns on the
survey. Sitting on the exposed rocks were two Peregrine Falcons.

Then, I had a first for me. By accident I pick up a small brown bird
flying towards shore in my scope. It was reddish-brown similar in
color to a Barn swallow but had a strange flapping flight. I had to
keep decreasing magnification on the scope so I would not loose it.
When it go close enough, I switched to my binoculars, and as it flew
over my head all was made clear. It was a Red Bat!

The golf course was empty and all the gulls were hanging out on the
beach. In the harbor, the flats were exposed. and contained most of
the shorebirds. The ducks were at the mouth of Sasco Creek. Canada
Geese have been curiously missing. Looking at past data, this is the
peak of Great Egret migration.

Dennis Varza

DATE	8/21	8/25	9/1   	9/11
Tide	High	Low 	High	Low