[CT Birds] Fairfield Birding (9/11)

Alexander Burdo alexanderburdo at mac.com
Sun Sep 12 10:51:06 EDT 2010

 From Alex Burdo, James Orrico and Dave Hursh:

It was a good day of birding in Fairfield with all the expected stuff
plus a number of nice surprises. I noted the migrants and highlights
below, some such as the Ospreys and Common Yellowthroats may be made
up of residents and migrants but they're all going to have to migrate
at some point!

6:00-9:00~ - Fairfield, Birdcraft Sanctuary:

We were joined by Tina Green for this leg. It seemed most of the
migrants that were dotting the radar ended up farther south, but we
did have a nice morning with larger than normal numbers (for
Birdcraft) of expected species.

3 Black-crowned Night-Heron
1 Red-shouldered Hawk--a nice juvenile that kept all the warblers on
their toes
2 American Kestrel--flyovers
1 Ruby-throated Hummingbird--only seen by Tina
3 Tree Swallow
1 House Wren--seen from the bridge
12 Gray Catbird
4 Cedar Waxwing

1 Magnolia Warbler
1 Pine Warbler--only seen by 2
4 American Redstart
3 Northern Waterthrush--including 1 banded bird that looked
surprisingly like the very buffy bird we banded 2 days before
9 Common Yellowthroat
1 Wilson's Warbler
1 Baltimore Oriole

9:10-9:40~ - Fairfield, Jennings Beach

We then moved on to Jennings Beach. The brush around the parking lot
and in the dunes on the western side is fantastic in fall.

5 Canada Geese
1 Cooper's Hawk
3 Osprey
2 Fish Crow--resident
2 Common Yellowthroat

10:00-10:15~ - Fairfield, Sherman School field/brush

After Jennings we made a quick stop at Sherman. Sherman is also a
fantastic fall stop and we were able to pick up a couple migrants,
both aerial and in the brush.

2 Red-tailed Hawk
3 Osprey
4 Gray Catbirds
2 Common Yellowthroat

2:40-4:40 - Fairfield, South Pine Creek

Back from a little over an hour at Lighthouse Point, we hit Pine Creek
before calling it a day. All the warblers were in the vegetation
bordering the gravel path leading to the old landfill.

2 Black-crowned Night-Heron
1 Yellow-crowned Night-Heron--a nice juvenile
4 Osprey
1 Ruby-throated Hummingbird--the leftmost trail if you enter from the
soccer fields
1 Least Flycatcher--in a clump of trees next to the old landfill
4 American Robins
11 Gray Catbirds
5 Cedar Waxwings
1 Magnolia Warbler