[CT Birds] HANOVER POND - Meriden

Joseph Budrow jbudrow at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 12 20:20:12 EDT 2010

Recent rains cleared Hanover Pond of the the thick paralyzing green algae that pretty much derailed any good birding there up to about three weeks ago. Today, the presence of a regal pair of  bald eagles graced today's visit. Thy perched in a large dead tree at the northwest shore and later flew off. One landed into the pond past the end of the long spit to munch on a tasty fish. Never saw where Eagle2 went. A young merlin perched to the northeast near the VFW property and scoped the scene, as well. For the last year a merlin has spent considerable time here.

Three pied-billed grebes were here, too. I have been seeing a pair since April. Never saw three at once. GBHs, great egrets and cormorants abounded. A very raucous pair of belted kingfishers were all over the place. A lesser yellowlegs walked the spit along with some semip. sandpipers. There was also a solitary sandpiper out there with quite a limp. I felt Iike I was watching a dead sandpiper walking. Hopefully it will be okay.

Hanover Pond was a great place to spend a couple of hours. Get there if you can. Migration season at this pond can bring surprises.

Joe B