[CT Birds] Yellow-bellied Flycatcher and Forster's Terns CT River Selden Island

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 12 20:44:31 EDT 2010

Camped on Selden Island on the CT River in Lyme  last night with my daughter
and her friend. We shared a camp site with a second year Bald Eagle during
the day and a vociferous Screech Owl at night. A few migrants were doing
morning flight or moving through the tree tops but man,  there are tall
trees on that island! I did hear my first Yellow-rumped Warbler migrant of
the fall and I also found a Yellow-bellied Flycatcher on the hillside. On
the paddle back up river this afternoon we were passed by two Forster's
Terns headed down river.

I started this trip with two twelve year old girls who had never kayaked any
real river let alone a really big river full of fast big boats throwing
serious wakes. Frankly I was very concerned about them being able to handle
the boats safely in those conditions. I ended the trip with two twelve year
old girls who were complaining there weren't enough big boats throwing big
wakes to surf! A few other birds on the island were a semi-singing
Yellow-throated Vireo, a Pileated Woodpecker, a Red-breasted Nuthatch, and
two Spotted Sandpipers. I heard two Swainson's Thrushes pass over during the
night, despite having a Screech Owl parked over our tents and calling all
night. Well at least the parts I was awake.

Dave Provencher

Naturally New England

 <http://naturallynewengland.blogspot.com/>