[CT Birds] Allen's Meadow- Nice Mix, and some Goodies

Joseph.Bear at rbs.com Joseph.Bear at rbs.com
Mon Sep 13 10:37:42 EDT 2010

For the first time this season I birded Allen's Meadow in Wilton yesterday (Sun) and was reminded of what a great place it is to bird- especially this time of year.  Due to limited woodlands, it is not known for big warbler flights so I was particularly pleased with a personal high count for me of 16sp including 1 BAY-BREASTED, 2 TENNESSEE, 2 BLACKPOLL, and 1 WILSON's.  Throw in the odd CANADA, PRAIRIE, NASHVILLE , and PALMS and you have a nice mix.  In with a couple of Warbling Vireos was a bright PHILADELPHIA VIREO along the trail bordering Field 5- also here was a very cooperative YELLOW-BELLIED FLYCATCHER.  Just as this trail merges with the Community Gardens I heard a chink of what I'm fairly certain was a Blue Grosbeak, however I never located the bird.  Two KESTRELS were working the Community Gardens vicinity, as were 14 BOBOLINKS tucked in the Foxtail Grass.  It was nice to see several SAVANNAH SPARROWS having arrived, along with 1 LINCOLN's SPARROW.  Against an overcast sky 1 adult BALD EAGLE flew over- as I looked up 2 BLACK VULTURES cruised along the ridgeline.  An RB NUTHATCH was in the south woods, and 4 PURPLE FINCHES flew over getting my attention with their hollow call note.  Rounding off the busy morning were a total of 6 Woodpecker species, and a Catbird pretending to be a Red-eyed Vireo, and a rather poor one at that.  [Note- there's 20+ House Sparrows in the gardens so no doubt a Dickcissel with be amongst them soon- "unfortunately" I'll be away leading back-to-back weekends on Monhegan and Block Islands for CT Audubon Society so won't be around to bird Allen's but encourage you to do so as this time of year it really comes in to its own.

Joe Bear
message (including any attachments) is confidential and/or
privileged. It is to be used by the intended recipients only. If
you have received it by mistake please notify the sender by return
e-mail and delete this message from your system. Any unauthorized
use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part is
strictly prohibited. Please note that e-mails are inherently
insecure and susceptible to change. The Royal Bank of Scotland
Group, plc ("RBS") and its subsidiaries, and affiliates and
subsidiary undertakings, including but not limited to, RBS plc New
York and Connecticut Branches, RBS Securities Inc., The Royal Bank
of Scotland N.V. New York and Chicago Branches (formerly named ABN
AMRO Bank N.V.), Citizens Financial Group, Inc. and RBS Citizens,
N.A., shall not be liable for the improper or incomplete
transmission of the information contained in this communication or
Attachment nor for any delay in its receipt or damage to your
system. RBS does not guarantee that the integrity of this
communication has been maintained nor that this communication is
free of viruses, interceptions or interference. RBS and its
subsidiaries and affiliates do not guarantee the accuracy of any
email or attachment, that an email will be received or that RBS or
its affiliates and subsidiaries will respond to an email.

RBS makes no representations that any information contained in this
message (including any attachments) are appropriate for use in all
locations or that transactions, securities, products, instruments
or services discussed herein are available or appropriate for sale
or use in all jurisdictions, or by all investors or counterparties.
Those who utilize this information do so on their own initiative
and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws or