[CT Birds] feed or not to feed?

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 14 11:41:55 EDT 2010

To feed birds or not is the question.

I have a bird feeder up and filled throughout the year, but that old question
comes up for me once again.....

Is it a good idea to attract birds to feeders even though it condenses their
numbers and makes these birds
more vulnerable to predator attacks? I have been told by experts (those who
should know) that it

most likely is a wash.

All summer, I have had a hanging feeder on my cedar tree filled and visited
greatly from the bird population
within my area. Even a red squirrel visits daily. However: I also have a
resident Coopers Hawk about, and

this hawk has had fantastic luck catching M Doves and others such as Blue jays
under the feeder.

How do i know? because he leaves many of their scattered breast and flight
feathers behind. So far this
 summer i have found over 6 Dove and 2 Jay feather piles under the feeder.

Are we helping or hindering our bird friends by feeding them? i would love to
hear how others feel about this

subject and what they might know about it as well for all of us to learn from.

Thanks - Paul Carrier