[CT Birds] CT Warbler?

Jim Pfeifer Jim.Pfeifer at erm.com
Tue Sep 14 14:04:41 EDT 2010

I had a possible first fall CT Warbler at Station 43 (my new favorite spot) this morning at about 9:10 am.  I would have reported it earlier, but I just got back to my computer.  I have not previously viewed this species, so I am not certain on the ID, but I had pretty good 2-3 second looks for between 1-2 minutes before losing it in the brush.  The bird was mostly within 1-2 feet of the ground in heavy underbrush, sometimes on branches, sometimes on the ground.  I did not see the walking behavior, which is one of the reasons I am questioning the ID.  The bird was almost certainly one of the Oporornis species.  One field mark of note was the eye ring; it was very conspicuous but appeared more yellow, not white.  Is this usual/possible for an immature CT?

Regards,

Jim

James L. Pfeifer, LEP
Senior Project Manager
Environmental Resources Management (ERM)
77 Hartland Street, Suite 300
East Hartford, Connecticut 06108
860-466-8515 - Office
860-466-8501- Fax