[CT Birds] feed or not to feed?

Tammy Eustis teustis at killingworthlibrary.org
Tue Sep 14 14:08:15 EDT 2010

As Mike mentioned, "location, location, location" is a big plus for feeders and their clientele. We feed year-round. Our seed feeders (two sunflower and one thistle) plus a suet cage on-a-pole are grouped together on the inside curve of a horseshoe of surrounding forsythia, with woods behind. Between the branches in the winter and the foliage in the summer, the little birds have more of a fighting chance when hawks come through. But not always, so I'd say it's a fair deal for everyone. (In the deep winter, I hang extra suet cages on the nearby apple tree, which is actually a little easier for the hawks to navigate.) Our birdbaths also have evergreen cover close by, for a quick escape.
The way I look at it is: bird feeders are bird feeders, whether the birds are eating seed, suet, or each other. The "prey" birds like blue jays and mourning doves have many more offspring than the hawks do, so the playing field is essentially level for both.
- Tammy Eustis, Chester