[CT Birds] feed or not to feed?

Kathy Van Der Aue kvda at optonline.net
Tue Sep 14 15:34:33 EDT 2010

I lost six male cardinals to our marauding Cooper's hawk last winter and,
while I know Coops have a tough time in the winter, why don't they seek out
the house sparrows?  I examined the location which had been a good on for 35
years and realized that it had become more open with the loss of two shrubs
so, I moved the feeder to a more sheltered location with dense "escape"
plantings nearby and have not seen another dead bird.  As a bonus, the
traffic at the feeder increased substantially so I deduce that the birds may
have also realized how exposed the old location had become.  I have read
that birds will get about 25% of their food from feeders in the winter so, I
hope this site remains less attractive to accipiters.

Kathy Van Der Aue, Southport, CT
kvda at optonline.net