[CT Birds] feed or not to feed?

jbserena at comcast.net jbserena at comcast.net
Tue Sep 14 19:35:21 EDT 2010

I've struggled with the same question. I'm not feeding birds anymore--less because of the Cooper's hawks than because of the impact that farming for oil sunflower and other feeder staples has on birds. When I found out that millions of birds are killed annually by sunflower farmers in the upper Midwest, who use avicides to kill birds directly and herbicides to destroy nesting habitat in the vicinity of sunflower fields, the irony just got too thick for me. I'm still thinking about the possibility of feeding during extreme winter weather.