[CT Birds] CACC

katz1449 at aol.com katz1449 at aol.com
Wed Sep 15 14:29:29 EDT 2010

9/15  Milford,
 Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center  10AM-1PM  low tide receding, sunny 65-70
Just as I thought there were no more ospreys around, we had one juvenile sitting on the perch eating a fish around 10:35AM.  I don't know if it was "ours".
There were about 50 D.C. Cormorants, 6 Snowy egrets and 2 Great egrets gorging on a school of fish in the back part of the marsh.
The Cormorants were diving and flailing about the fish and the Egrets seem to be catching some of the fish that jumped out of the reach of the cormorants.After the "party" they all sat on the dry marsh muddy area .   I Clapper rail scurried from one clump of marsh grass to another.  Others species seen include Black Bellied, plovers, semi-palmated sandpipers, a semi-palmated plover, many Black ducks,
2 mallards,  Ring billed gulls, herring gulls, laughing gulls, 1 J. yellow crowned night heron, R.W. blackbirds, cardinals, song sparrows, house sparrows, common grackles, chickadees.  Around noon as the tide continued to recede there were about 2 dozen gulls (laughing and ring billed) walking in the low tide waters with their heads in the water and bills open, scooping up fish.
Bev Propen, Orange