[CT Birds] 2,054 raptors at Boothe Park

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at ctaudubon.org
Wed Sep 15 18:12:25 EDT 2010

It was a fantastic day at the Boothe Park Hawk Watch in Stratford. Observers included myself, Charlie Barnard, Frank Mantlik, and John Marshall, 1-3 of us for various lengths of time for 8 hours of observations. Note that this is Boothe Park, with an E and in Stratford, not Booth Hill. This is the page on HMANA: http://www.hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=703 - I'll write about the site on the CAS blog sometime soon to provide more details. Please keep in mind that this count is not done every day, and rarely for such a length of time. It only happens when we are able to be there, which is not too often.

Raptor migrants:
55 Osprey
10 Bald Eagle
3 Northern Harrier
71 Sharp-shinned Hawk
3 Cooper's Hawk
1,884 Broad-winged Hawk
2 Red-tailed Hawk
16 American Kestrel
3 Peregrine Falcon
2 Unknown accipiter
1 Unknown falcon
4 Unknown raptor
TOTAL - 2,054

And even more "local" Osprey, Red-tails, Red-shoulders, and Turkey Vulture.

Other migrants:
1 COMMON NIGHTHAWK (at 4:55 flying very low)
1 RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH
1 Black-throated Green Warbler
18 Cedar Waxwing
60 Double-crested Cormorant