[CT Birds] Quaker Ridge Philly Vireo, YB Fly + Big Day

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Wed Sep 15 21:12:22 EDT 2010

 Hi All,

The day started out with a walk nice and early around the property. A poor show numbers wise for nocturnal migrants and almost zilch morning flight - perhaps ill advised with the number of Sharpies around anyway - something akin to flying into a meat grinder this AM. There were however a couple of goodies around including a third sighting of a Yellow-bellied Flycatcher here (seen well down to 15 feet and multiple fieldmarks checked off) along with a couple of other empids I'd leave as unidentified but at least a couple looked pretty Leastish. A bright Philadelphia Vireo was a first for the year in Connecticut for me personally. The awesome Broad-winged Hawk flight finally materialised at about 4PM with one kettle/stream alone containing 560 birds and 30 Bald Eagles being particularly mindblowing (many were very low early in the day and provided great views for amongst others a big group of biology students). Tomorrow morning could be good before it shuts down in the afternoon as could Friday and Saturday?

Luke Tiller, Greenwich