[CT Birds] Mouth of Housatonic River

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Thu Sep 16 17:41:35 EDT 2010

Hi Folks

I did a fairly thorough coverage of the mouth of the river.

At sunrise there was a flock of 500 Double-crested Cormorants and 28
Snowy Egrets on the nesting bar. There was some sort of bait fish in
the water which captured the birds attention. It looked frustrating
for the egrets since the school was close to shore but not close
enough for them. Not a tern was in sight. The only skimmers about
were three birds loafing on Short Beach.

The Shorebird Count on the bar is as follows
Black-bellied Plover	17
Semipalmated Plover	2
American Oystercatcher	9
Sanderling	190
Semipalmated Sandpiper	7
Short-billed Dowitcher	1

I made another trip to Mondo Ponds also in Milford. In the past it
has been a significant roost for Yellowlegs and a good spot for early
ducks. Not a single shorebird, duck or goose to be seen. This is the
second time this has happened!

Also, from talking to the state duck banders and my observations,
there has been a general lack of ducks in western Connecticut. Farm
ponds and other duck hangouts have had relatively few birds. The one
exception has been the abundance of Blue-winged Teal.

At Stratford Marina I had a record high of 50 Yellow-crowned Night-
Herons in sight at one time. the other shorebirds were:
Greater Yellowlegs	63
Lesser Yellowlegs	2
Willet	1
Semipalmated Sandpiper	1
Short-billed Dowitcher	43
Long-billed Dowitcher	1

I covered from Ash Creek to Seaside Park in Bridgeport, but the only
things of interest was the gulls. But then, they are always of interest.

Dennis Varza