[CT Birds] Lighthouse Point Friday

Dana Campbell dana.l.campbell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 21:03:04 EDT 2010

>From Dana Campbell, Lynn James, and many others:
9/17 - New Haven, Lighthouse Point Park Hawkwatch during 10.5 hours, 564
diurnal raptors counted, including 58 Osprey, 18 Northern Harriers, 287
Sharp-shinned Hawks, 21 Coopers Hawks, 41 Broad-winged Hawks, 85 American
Kestrels, 15 Merlins, 6 PEREGRINE FALCONS, 5 BALD EAGLES ( 1 ADULT, 4
JUVENILES.)
Other migrants observed:  18 Common Nighthawks, 190 Cedar Waxwings, 170 Tree
Swallows, 17 Chimney Swifts, 1 American Pipit, 18 Bobolinks, 2 Ruby-throated
Hummingbirds.

It was a beautiful day.  The air was thick with dragonflies.  Many birds
soared on the currents way above our heads, and many came into the park to
enjoy the feast.  Thank you to Lynn James, Sulmaan Khan, Steve Spector, and
Steve Mayo for some great spotting.  We welcomed several guests, including
Kurt Austin from Indianapolis IN.  He had looked us up on the internet
before traveling to New Haven.
--
Dana Campbell, Priest in Charge
Church of the Good Shepherd, Hartford
dana.l.campbell at gmail.com

Oh, if you're a bird, be an early bird
And catch the worm for your breakfast plate.
If you're a bird, be an early early bird--
But if you're a worm, sleep late.                   *Early Bird* by Shel
Silverstein