[CT Birds] Bluff Point

Chris Elphick elphick at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 18 20:12:27 EDT 2010

Bluff Point was fairly quiet this morning, but the few of us there had about 200 warblers of at least 9 species.  Despite the low numbers the views were great - about as good as it gets, with nice early morning light and lots of birds circling around or stopping in the trees.  I think I identified almost as many birds as the day last week when we had a thousand.

Species included: green heron (1), Cooper's hawk (2), black-bellied plover (4), dowitcher sp. (1), common nighthawk (3), yellow-shafted flicker (4), yellow-bellied fly (1), red-eyed vireo (14), white-eyed vireo (1), brown thrasher (1), gray catbird (22+),  unidentified warbler (120+), black-throated green (3), black-throated blue (10), parula (18), restart (30), magnolia (4), blackpoll (2++), black-and-white (8), common yellowthroat (1), ovenbird (1), scarlet tanager (6), Baltimore oriole (2), bobolink (5).

Chris Elphick

Storrs, CT

elphick at sbcglobal.net