[CT Birds] Swallows

Andy Griswold agriswold at ctaudubon.org
Mon Sep 20 14:32:29 EDT 2010

If you have not seen the swallow spectacle that occurs near the mouth of the Connecticut River, you really should do it now. There are currently about 400,000 Tree Swallows (this is no exaggeration!)coming in each night and performing some incredible tornado like spirals, dives, and twists. The renowned ornithologist and artist Roger Tory Peterson who lived in the area of the swallow roost wrote, "I have seen a million flamingos on the lakes of East Africa and as many seabirds on the cliffs of the Alaska Pribilofs, but for sheer drama, the tornadoes of Tree Swallows eclipsed any other avian spectacle I have ever seen." He was talking about the event here in Connecticut!

Connecticut Audubon runs boats out to the swallows (the only way to see the "spectacle") and there still is some space for September 27, 28, and 30. Give us a call at 800-996-8747. Don't miss it!

Andrew Griswold, Director
Connecticut Audubon Society EcoTravel
35 Pratt Street, Suite 201
Essex, CT  06426  USA