[CT Birds] Window crash- too close

eyeflight16 at optonline.net eyeflight16 at optonline.net
Mon Sep 20 17:15:04 EDT 2010

As I was scanning the shore from the windows facing the beach at my house here in Fairfield, I was suprised to hear a sudden bang. I looked down in horror to see a Common Yellowthroat lying on the ground, with its beak wide open panting and its neck at an odd angle. I immediatly wanted to help the little guy, but I knew if anything had happened to the bird such as a broken neck there was nothing I could do. I watched helplessly as the bird lowered its neck and closed it's eyes. Then, a miracle happened and after a while of sitting and panting, the bird opened its eyes, alert for danger. It then started moving its head around and preening. Then, the bird slowly started to hop. Then, finally, after about 20 minutes, the bird flew a short distance into a nearby bush, probably to fully recover. I have never had a serious window strike like this before, and I know this yellowthroat got lucky. While I was relieved that it was alright, I know now that I am going to keep the shades down on that door to break the reflection.

James (Randall) Purcell
Fairfield